German billboard campaign for Swiss airline enrages Muslim communities
Muslims in Switzerland respond negatively to campaign logo (Swiss cross) and slogan, "Kreuz ist Trumpf" - translated as the "cross is the key"
Muslim communities in Switzerland are enraged over a slogan used in a recent German –language publicity campaign for Swiss International Airlines.
Referring to its logo, the white cross from Switzerland’s national flag, reads the campaign slogan, “Kreuz ist Trumpf” which is translated as the “cross is the key”.
Switzerland’s news in English website, The Local has reported that Muslims in Switzerland have responded negatively to the advertising, which they believe promotes Christianity over other religions.
Turkish journalist, Cemil Baysal said he is not surprised by the angry response to the campaign and told the Swiss Sunday Newspaper, Der Sonntag that, “Many Muslims feel this Christian slogan (of Swiss) is a provocation and an assault against Islam”.
A spokesman for the airline, Myriam Ziesack told the Sunday newspaper that it was unfortunate the billboard advertisement appeared at the same time as the online anti-Muhammad film but the slogan, in fact, refers to “trumps”, a popular card game strongly rooted in Switzerland -known as Jass.
Speaking on behalf of the airline, Ziesack said, “We didn’t intend to make any religious or political statement with this advertising message. However, should the religious feelings of others have been hurt by others, we regret that very much”.
It was only a matter of time until the overly-sensitive Islamist types would find something else to be offended by or consider religiously bias towards Christianity. So now we have this. It is ridiculous that any Muslim community should be offended by a slogan or indeed the cross on Switzerland’s national flag.
Read more on: Der Sonntag, The Local, white cross campaign slogan, Germany, Muslim community, 'Kreuz ist Trumpf', Switzerland National Flag, and Swiss International Airlines
- Major incident in South London with reports of shootings and a beheading
- Saudi Arabia beheads Yemenis, displays corpses in public
- Swastika flag flies over Palestinian village
- VIDEO: BBC presenter slapped down over question of Farage's drinking and smoking habits
- VIDEOS: The Best of Galloway, May 2013
- NY Democrat pleads with Republican not to share document proposing confiscation of guns
- Sunday Times blood libel cartoon, on Holocaust Memorial Day no less
- Palestinian jailed for Facebook like
- 'Muslim Patrol' vigilantes attempt to control London streets
- Saudi cleric who raped and killed daughter receives small fine
We are wholly dependent on the kindness of our readers for our continued work. We thank you in advance for any support you can offer.