Sanctions working?

Iranians, who have been fighting for freedom for more than three decades, now see an opportunity through these sanctions to finally strive for their goal

by Sogol Ayrom on 23 October 2012 10:39

The Iranian regime has never been as weak and desperate over the past 34 years as it is now. Sanctions are clearly showing their effect.

How do we know this? Actually, in several ways. For one, the regime in Iran is by all means trying to stop the world maintaining these sanctions. It is spending millions of dollars on lobbyists in a bid to prove that these sanctions would harm the Iranian people more than the regime itself.

The mullahs in Iran want to abolish the sanctions in order to be able to brutally suppress the population in case of a new uprising. They want to get rid of the sanctions so that they can continue buying friends like China and Russia, so that they can continue to support Syria and Assad's army with money and military assistance, and so that they can continue to finance Hezbollah in Lebanon and in its worldwide terrorist activities. The more dollars and euros out of the hands of the Iranian regime, the greater the benefit to the nation.

Yes, the people in Iran feel 10 percent of the pressure, but the unscrupulous rulers in Tehran, the oppressors of this people, feel the remaining 90 percent. The Iranian population is prepared to accept this pain – on the one hand, to prevent a possible devastating war, on the other, to have the control and repression apparatus of the regime paralyzed by the withdrawal of financial resources.

However, the goal of the sanctions should not be set to bring a change in behavior of the regime and to bring it back to the negotiating table, which could have happened a long time ago. The aim of the sanctions must be set to provide enough power to the people and to weaken the regime so that Iranians can finally overthrow this regime on their own.

It is necessary therefore that the economic sanctions become smarter and that they are complemented by diplomatic and political sanctions. The EU should finally follow the example of Britain and Canada, and give serious consideration to closing down its embassies.

The Iranian regime has violated every conceivable type of international law and convention on human rights and has ignored international demands to report on its human rights situation and its obvious abuse. If Iran does not grant the UN human rights rapporteur, Ahmad Shaheed, an entry visa, so should no member of the regime gain permission to enter the EU – nor any Iranian diplomat or delegation permission to travel abroad.

Having mentioned this, we ask ourselves: why is a delegation of the European Parliament planning a trip to Iran? This planned trip which is going to be held by the end of October is like a slap coming from the EU Parliament directly in the face of the Iranian people. Iranians, who have been fighting for freedom for more than three decades under atrocious conditions, now see an opportunity through these sanctions to finally strive for their goal. They don’t deserve a slap in the face.

We therefore hope that this trip will not take place and that the European Parliament will support the Iranian opposition more than they did in the past, holding off plans for a trip to Iran until after this inhuman regime is finally overthrown.

blog comments powered by Disqus

We are wholly dependent on the kindness of our readers for our continued work. We thank you in advance for any support you can offer.