Could it be? Labour planning to arrest the digital revolution
The idea that an industrial strategy is going to stop the retail revolution taking place around us is fanciful
Affable Labour spokesman Chuka Umunna tweeted recetly: "We need a proper industrial strategy to promote multichannel retailing, combining online trade with vibrant high streets".
I think Chuka was responding to the sad news that HMV is to shut. With more and more folk buying music online, apparently there simply aren't enough of us buying music the old fashioned way. When was the last time you bought a CD in a shop? When, indeed, was the last time you bought a CD?
But unless Chuka is proposing to restrict online shopping, how might he stop this change in retail patterns? Will there be a tax on itunes? A spotify tax? Will he require people to buy CDs? Of course not.
"It is not" Chuka tweets again "for us to think what we can't do but to ask what can we do to help resolve the situation".
Very Churchillian, but perhaps he might start by reading Chris Anderson's The Long Tail. Ostensibly about how online will transform retail, it might also give him an idea of the forces he is up against if he is going to try to arrest the digital revolution.
Perhaps Chuka and co have thought this all through carefully? Maybe they have carefully costed plans to tax digital distribution to cross subsidise traditional retail? Maybe they have plans to make sure that once 3D manufacturing gets going it does not distupt more generic production? Could be.
Or alternatively they've not thought seriously about the future of retail and are simply making noises to appear like they are on the right side?
There are plenty of things that we can do to help the high street – cut taxes, ease planning rules and restrictions, make things easier for motorists needing somewhere to park. But they are all about politicians and officialdom doing less, and getting out the way. The idea that an industrial strategy is going to stop the retail revolution taking place around us is fanciful.
This blog originally appeared on talkcarswell.com
Read more on: HMV, Chuka Umunna, douglas carswell, and Labour
- Major incident in South London with reports of shootings and a beheading
- Saudi Arabia beheads Yemenis, displays corpses in public
- Swastika flag flies over Palestinian village
- VIDEO: BBC presenter slapped down over question of Farage's drinking and smoking habits
- VIDEOS: The Best of Galloway, May 2013
- NY Democrat pleads with Republican not to share document proposing confiscation of guns
- Sunday Times blood libel cartoon, on Holocaust Memorial Day no less
- Palestinian jailed for Facebook like
- 'Muslim Patrol' vigilantes attempt to control London streets
- Saudi cleric who raped and killed daughter receives small fine
We are wholly dependent on the kindness of our readers for our continued work. We thank you in advance for any support you can offer.