EXCLUSIVE: Nobel Laureate Elie Wiesel slams UK LibDem MP for "shameless" slanders over Holocaust remarks
Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel issues stinging rebuke to UK Liberal Democrat MP David Ward over comments about Israel, Jews and the Holocaust
On Friday 25th January, The Commentator broke the story of David Ward MP, a member of the British parliament, who this week brought shame on the Liberal Democrat party -- the junior partner in Britain's coalition government -- by conflating the Holocaust with the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.
His words have now been condemned by Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor Professor Elie Wiesel in an exclusive statement to The Commentator.
Ward, the representative for Bradford East, stated openly: "I am saddened that the Jews, who suffered unbelievable levels of persecution during the Holocaust, could within a few years of liberation from the death camps be inflicting atrocities on Palestinians in the new State of Israel and continue to do so on a daily basis in the West Bank and Gaza.”
He then went on to defend himself by using the words of Holocaust survivor, Professor Elie Wiesel: “I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”
But Professor Wiesel has issued a harsh rebuke to Ward, telling The Commentator, exclusively: "Although he quotes me correctly, I am outraged that he uses my words at the same time he utters shameless slanders on the State of Israel.”
Liberal Democrat HQ will be expected to act swiftly to remove Ward from the party, with many campaigners and commentators now stating that his position as a Liberal Democrat MP is untenable.
Professor Wiesel is the author of 57 books, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. He has also received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Congressional Gold Medal and the Legion of Honour.
At the time of writing, Mr. Ward has not been removed as a member of the parliamentary Liberal Democrats. Holocaust Memorial Day is on Sunday 27th January 2013.
Read more on: Elie Wiesel, holocaust, david ward mp, and Israel
- Major incident in South London with reports of shootings and a beheading
- Saudi Arabia beheads Yemenis, displays corpses in public
- Swastika flag flies over Palestinian village
- VIDEO: BBC presenter slapped down over question of Farage's drinking and smoking habits
- MPAC Woolwich response betrays British Muslims
- NY Democrat pleads with Republican not to share document proposing confiscation of guns
- Sunday Times blood libel cartoon, on Holocaust Memorial Day no less
- Palestinian jailed for Facebook like
- 'Muslim Patrol' vigilantes attempt to control London streets
- Saudi cleric who raped and killed daughter receives small fine
We are wholly dependent on the kindness of our readers for our continued work. We thank you in advance for any support you can offer.