Iran’s Ahmadinejad calls for destruction of US and Israel, says America fomented turmoil in Arab world
The Iranian leader rarely misses an opportunity to threaten Israel. Today he also said the United States “had no place among the nations”.
In a characteristically bizarre speech on Iranian television on Monday, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad accused the United States of fomenting the on-going turmoil in the Arab world and said America “had no place among the nations”.
Speaking at the country’s annual Army Day Parade, the Iranian president also reiterated his customary calls for the destruction of the State of Israel which, he said, dominated the Middle East in conjunction with the “Zionist” leadership in the United States.
"They are seeking a new Middle East,” said Ahmadinejad. “The people of the region want a new one too but with God's divine grace, a new Middle East without the American dominance and the presence of the Zionist regime will materialise."
There is near unanimity among analysts that the United States and Israel had nothing to do with the wave of protests and revolutions that has swept many Arab states in recent months. Many senior Israeli politicians have also voiced deep concerns about where it might lead, appearing nervous about the potential prospect of the emergence of radical groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood.
Iran is widely suspected of developing a nuclear weapons programme, and it sees itself as a champion of Shia communities across the Middle East.
Many Arab countries such as Saudi Arabia are deeply concerned by Iran’s nuclear ambitions and also by the Islamist regime’s support for Shia militant groups.
On Sunday, the Gulf Cooperation Council, compromised of six Sunni dominated states, issued a public statement calling on Iran to stop “interference” and “provocations”. Saudi Arabia also made a thinly veiled threat to suspend diplomatic relations with Tehran if the Iranian regime refused to desist.
Read more on: Iran, Israel, Nuclear, Saudi Arabia, the commentator, and United States
- Major incident in South London with reports of shootings and a beheading
- Saudi Arabia beheads Yemenis, displays corpses in public
- Swastika flag flies over Palestinian village
- VIDEO: BBC presenter slapped down over question of Farage's drinking and smoking habits
- MPAC Woolwich response betrays British Muslims
- NY Democrat pleads with Republican not to share document proposing confiscation of guns
- Sunday Times blood libel cartoon, on Holocaust Memorial Day no less
- Palestinian jailed for Facebook like
- 'Muslim Patrol' vigilantes attempt to control London streets
- Saudi cleric who raped and killed daughter receives small fine
We are wholly dependent on the kindness of our readers for our continued work. We thank you in advance for any support you can offer.